Learn more About Us
Parish Mission Statement
We desire to bring the GOOD NEWS of our faith to all who enter our doors and beyond. We receive God’s love and we need to respond – by giving it back to others in fellowship and service. The lives of our people must be awakened by the experience of worship, enhanced by the feeling of belonging and through striving to care and share with the elderly, youth, the poor and all who are alienated and lonely. “Give us the courage to find wisdom in our sacrifices, joy in our generosity and hope in the compassion we show, especially to those in need of your comfort and care. We give you thanks for the inspiration of your Holy Spirit as we reflect on the Gospel call to exercise Christ’s stewardship on our journey of faith.”
Assumption Catholic Church Parish is one of growth and devotion to the Mass and Sacraments through a strong faith. It begins with the early parishioners, who planted the seed to build a firm trunk from which major branches would grow. Today the roots still hold fast.
The planting of this particular seed was accomplished with the founding of a Parish Mission in December 1950. In 1952, the Mission Church/auditorium was built. This was a result of efforts to meet the spiritual needs of a local population growth. Father John Cotter ( 1950-51) and Father M. J. Fogarty (1951-59) served the Mission Parish.
Our parish, Assumption Catholic Church, was established on May 23, 1959, by Bishop Coleman Francis Carroll, D.D..
Faithful priests who have served as pastor include:
Father Patrick D. O’Brien (1959-64)
Msgr. Thomas O’Donavan, Officialis (1964-68)
Msgr. Robert W. Schiefen, V.G. (1968-70)
Msgr. Rowan T.Rastatter (1970-91)
Msgr. Martin J. Cassidy (1991-2010)
Very Rev. Michael J. Greer, V.F. (2010-Present).
Associate Pastors included: Father Xavier Morras, John F. Fitzpatrick (later Bishop of Brownsville, TX), Miguel Goni, Thomas Dennehy, Vincent Cashman, Wendel Semjen, Maurice J. Horn, Virgil Roach, S.J., Joseph J. Hook, S. Profeta, James J. McDevitt, J. Gil, OMI, Aloysius Lucking, Paul J. Frank, OMI, Michael Krulak, and John B. Handrahan, S.J.
The goal to provide a permanent home for worship became a reality under the direction of Msgr. Martin J. Cassidy, his dedicated associates, staff and parish family. Architect, Richard SanGiovanni designed the new church while Gene Herman, a well-known builder, carried out the plans. Another branch sprouted a firm hold when on Aopril 23, 1994, The MOst Reverend Edward A. McCarthy, D.D., Archbishop of Miami, blessed and dedicated our new church. Our former pastor, Msgr. Cassidy and many wonderful priests concelebrated the first Mass – The Most Reverend Joseph Cassidy, D. D. , Archbishop of TUAm,Ireland, gave the first homily.
Though this magnificent house of worship is complete, our work and our fourney as a Christian community continues. The true meaning of the “mustar seed” will continue to spring forth in our lives and in those around us, and we will bear fruit that will endure forever. Assumption Catholic Church will always be a monument to the memory of faith, generosity and the loyalty of many.